Guest Guru: Danny Masterson
He’s an actor, model, restauranteur, boutique owner, and one of the country’s “most requested DJs,” DJ Mom Jeans (formerly DJ Donkey Pizzle, an iteration of his first persona, DJ Donkey Punch). And oh yeah, the Garden City, New York native – best known for his eight seasons on FOX’s hit sitcom “That ’70s Show,” where he played “rocker rebel” Steven Hyde – may have another cult favorite on his hands through his starring role on TBS’ “Men at Work,” which was just picked up for a second season.
All of which begs the question: how the hell does this guy have time to play golf?
Apparently it’s Danny’s latest obsession – he picked up the sport just a year-and-a-half ago and is already a 12 handicap (jerk) and getting golf themed cakes for his birthday.
We caught up with Danny while he was golfing in Ireland- he’s been making us jealous with tweets/photos like this.
Here’s a little Q and A, followed by Danny’s favorite tracks, both locally and globally.
FIVE GOLF QUESTIONS FOR DANNY MASTERSON
1) WHY’D YOU START PLAYING GOLF? “I had a carrot dangled in front of my face. That carrot being of the cocktail/gambling persuasion.”
2) YOU’VE ONLY BEEN PLAYING SERIOUSLY FOR EIGHTEEN MONTHS AND ALREADY YOU’RE A TWELVE HANDICAP. YOU MUST HAVE PLAYED AT SOME POINT WHEN YOU WERE YOUNGER, NO? ”I wish. I woulda not spent my first three months trying to unlearn a baseball swing.”
3) WHAT IS IT ABOUT THE SPORT THAT HAS YOU SO HOOKED?: “I guess it was the same as anyone. 5 hours of hangin w the lads, busting balls,in the great outdoors. I like everything about it.”
4) YOU JUST SAID THAT YOU ENJOY THE GAMBLING AND DRINKING THAT COME ALONG WITH PLAYING WITH YOUR BUDDIES. ANY GOOD GAMBLING/DRINKING GOLF STORIES YOU CAN SHARE? : “I did? That’s weird cuz I don’t drink or gamble. (the Feds might read this article,prohibition and all) Golf trips are like vegas,what happens on the course stays on the course…”
5) PLAYED ON ANY BAD COURSES THAT YOU WANT TO CALL OUT? NOW’S YOUR CHANCE “Playing on a dirt fairway par3 course with pothole divots on the greens is still better than work, no?
Bonus: CONGRATS ON “MEN AT WORK” GETTING RENEWED FOR ANOTHER SEASON. THERE ARE A MILLION SITCOMS OUT THERE – WHY DO YOU THINK THIS ONE HAS A CHANCE TO CUT THROUGH THE CLUTTER? “Because its starring Danny Masterson and he’s the cats pajamas!”
DANNY MASTERSON’S GOLF COURSE PICKS
1) Manhattan Woods Golf Club, West Nyack, NY – “Epic”
2) Bethpage Black, Farmingdale, NY – “Needs no description”
3) Pound Ridge Golf Club, Pound Ridge, NY – “Stole a case of my Srixon Z-Stars”
1) Apes Hill Club, Barbados
2) El Dorado Golf Club, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
3) Adare Manor Golf Resort, County Limerick,Ireland
4) The Madison Club, Palm Springs,CA
5) Pacific Dunes Course – Bandon Dunes, Bandon,OR
6) Shadow Creek Golf Course, Las Vegas,NV